Thursday, December 06, 2007

My identity as a geek is now secured...

I have been following a website/blog/flickr group about cameras and photography, in particular off camera flash at Strobist.
 Awhile back there was a post about making a ring flash.  Ring flashes are used to give a distinct look to pictures.  Flat, diffuse light with a neat 'halo' kind of a shadow.

I like the idea, wanted to try a ring flash but couldn't find a design I liked.  Then a friend asked me a question about photography and my brain kicked into overdrive.  I ended up designing and building something.  I posted what I built to the Flickr group and the response was very positive.

Well, my fifteen minutes of fame may have started!  The Strobist himself, David Hobby wrote about my design and incorporated my pictures and even a sample picture of Olivia that shows off the effect.  You can find that post HERE.

I'm terribly surprised that something my brain came up with is going over this big...

And I'm afraid that I will irreversibly be labelled a geek now.  Meh... I'm okay with that.


edit: from the FAQ section of the Strobist site:
     How much traffic does Strobist get?
As of November, 2007, about 1.5 million page views a month, from over 170,000 photographers around the world.


Ya... that's insane.  All I have to say is "uh.... hi, I'm Doug."

No comments: