Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Lenten Lunch

I'm just about to leave the office for a ministerial event. Our church is organizing this weeks Lenten Lunch. As a ministerial we host a lunch every Wednesday of the Lenten season and a different church organizes the food and the service portion.

I was given the character of Caiaphas to look at. Caiaphas was the high priest during the mock trial of Christ. I finished my mini-sermon and even preached it to our empty sanctuary this morning. I suppose that unless you are a pastor or teacher you will not understand this, but I'm not totally pleased with it. I like it on paper, however, it doesn't want to come out right. (Gee, could I be more vague...) I heard once that a sermon is never really finished, and well, I guess that's what I feel today. I feel like while I know the passage, I know what I want to say about it and where I want to direct our thoughts, it feels like my thoughts are not as clear as they should be.

Dear God,
Make my words your words. If I utter anything not of you, cause it to be forgotten. May those words that are only mine fall like stones to the floor, not even landing on the ears of those with me. However, if there are words that I speak that are of you, make them pierce through the defenses that even I have built up. Make us aware of your presence and allow us to see you; even through my words. I love you, thanks in advance for going before me. Amen.

All I know is that God had better show up. He always does though, so I suppose I'm not too worried. I like it when our community of faith has these kinds of events where we all can come together and be together despite our theological differences.

I hope that God finds you today. Let him in when shows up. I know it's hard, but it's good.


edit: Things went pretty well, I think what I wanted to say came across, and everyone got something to eat.

No comments: